Blog

Final Post before the Holidays

Picture of Alexandra Magaard
Final Post before the Holidays
by Alexandra Magaard - 13 December 2014

^1 Alexandra Magaard // 13 December 2014 // #GoingGreen

LIMA.-300x180.jpegThis picture is the "Plenary Panel" at the Conference on December 8, 2014. Photo Source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/dec/10/lima-climate-talks-on-track-for-record-carbon-footprint

Hi everyone! I have just a couple of updates before the holidays. First, I offer my congratulations to all of the winners of the Going Green 2014 competitions! It was wonderful to see that there was such a large turnout at the final events in Berlin and Dusseldorf. You all worked so hard on your projects - well done! Secondly, this past week has been an important one for international environmental policy. It was the United Nationals Climate Change Conference in Lima, Peru. The event officially took place from the first of December until yesterday, the 12th.

The event is the 20th yearly session of Conference of the Parties (COP 20) from the United Nation's 1992 Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC). It gathered representatives from 195 countries in Lima, Peru to outline a blueprint for the next milestone agreement on climate change, and the policy from this past week in Peru will later be finalized at the United Nation's next summit in Paris, France in 2015. Feel free to check out updates on the Conference from the United Nation's official website, and I am sure you all, like me, are looking forward to the upcoming Paris summit as well :) Lastly, I want to inform you all that this is the final blog post for the month of December. I will begin posting again in the second week of January, with a weekly post on Environmental activity worldwide and in particular, the United States. Until then, I wish everyone a happy holidays, einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr and as always to remember: when the going gets tough, the tough go green. Alex

Alexandra Magaard is a native of Wayzata, Minnesota and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and German Language from James Madison University. In 2014-15, Alex served as a virtual intern for the U.S. Embassy and the Teach About US blog’s first author. A passionate supporter of environmentalism and green topics, Alex says that her activism began when she built a replica of the Cathedral of Notre Dame out of re-used egg cartons for her art class at age eight. She is now working for a German company based in Washington D.C.